Ethos and Core Principals
Goatstown/Stillorgan Educate Together N.S, like all Educate Together schools in the Republic of Ireland, is founded on four core principles:
1. Equality-based – All children have equal access to the school and no one religion or worldview is given priority over another within the school
2. Co-educational – All children are encouraged to explore their full range of abilities and are provided with equal opportunities regardless of their gender or identity.
3. Child- centred – Our child-centred approach means that we put children at the heart of all policies and practices and involve them in decision making where appropriate.
4. Democratic – We run schools on a democratic basis, encouraging active participation by parents and students in the daily life of the school whilst positively affirming the professional role of the teachers.
Learn Together Ethical Education Curriculum
In place of religious instruction programmes, which are taught in denominational schools, Educate Together schools teach the Learn Together Ethical Education Curriculum. This curriculum has four strands:
- Moral and Spiritual – children learn about feelings and values, the development of conscience, choices and consequences, stillness and meditation.
- Equality and Justice – children learn about wants and needs, rights and responsibilities; the promotion of equality and the nature of democracy locally (student councils are encouraged), nationally and globally.
- Belief Systems – children learn about the rites and ceremonies, celebrations, key figure and beliefs and values of the six main world religions: Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism and Sikhism. Schools also address Atheism, Agnosticism and Humanism.
- Ethics and the Environment – children learn about appreciation and stewardship of the natural world. Educate Together schools have an ethos of respect, diversity & inclusion.